Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Introductions

I might as well introduce myself to get things going here. I am Jake Gardner born Jacob H Gardner to Jeff and Kelly Gardner. I was fortunate to have been born to two amazing parents that taught me to work hard, love passionateley and to be the best that I know how to be. I'm the oldest of 8 kids and I now have 3 step sisters, and 1 stepbrother. My parents were divorced when I was 12, but luckily they're both re-married and I have a wonderful stepmom and stepdad. I was married to the love of my life on October 10, 2006. Her name is Shana and she is my everything. Without her I am nothing, she even saved my life. Seriously, about two months ago I found a lump on my left testicle, and as any guy would, I just decided it was nothing and that it would go away after a day or two. Well it didn't go away, and I told Shana about it. She made a doctor's appointment, and the next thing I knew I was in the office getting checked out. I was immediately scheduled for an ultrasound, and that was not promising. The radiologist sent the scans off to the doctor immediately. I was then referred to a Urologist, as soon as the nurse practicioner felt the lump and saw the scans, he said "It's cancer". My heart seriously stopped. I better back up here. I have always been crazy, fearless and I did everything faster than I should've. Some people called it recklessness, I call it being addicted to life. I was never afraid of anything and I never thought much about my own well being. That being said, those few words stopped me dead in my tracks! How could this be happening? I was in my prime, a new step dad, a new husband and so happy in my life. I was in great shape, probably the best shape I've ever been in. It was unbelievable, I was not supposed to have cancer, I felt fine. So the next day I went in for a Radical Orchietomy (testicle removal surgery). I was kind of hoping that would be the end of my "Cancer Story" but I had just tipped the iceberg. The cancer had spread to my lymph nodes, so on Dec.21,2006 (exactly one month after my first surgery) I did something I never thought I would ever do. I went to the Hospital to stay overnight(actually three days). Well after a successful surgery, a wicked scar, and terrorizing the nurses for a few sleepless nights they decided I should probably go home (more for the nurse's sakes than for mine). I went home and celebrated the best Christmas ever! It was so much fun, I had a blast watching the boys open their presents and having family come visit all day. Well, I was thinking that my bout with cancer was over, but I couldn't have more wrong! We went to the Urologist to have my staples removed and I had another blood draw ( these were beginning to become a routine). Well my tumor markers ( chemicals in the blood that are indication of testicular cancer) should have been going down to normal. We would find out that they hadn't at all. My doctor said we should meet with an Oncologist just to discuss treatment options. We met with Dr. Bott to discuss "treatment", he said well either we do another blood draw and see what the marker levels were, or just do Chemo as a precaution. I opted for a blood draw. He said he'd call me the next day with the results. They came "the markers had almost doubled". So I would start chemo on monday. So cancer wasn't done with me. But I think it's the other way around, I wasn't done with cancer, cause there's no way cancer is gonna win this fight. And I love a good fight! So thats me! I know it sounds like cancer is the main focus, right now and truthfully it is! It has come in and totally changed our life so right now I'll probably ramble on about it quite a bit. Sorry but it's something that I've come to realize is here for a while and it needs to be beat.

2 comments:

Shana said...

I love you so much honey! We will beat it! I just hope I am a good wife through it all and don't get too down... I love you!!

Chris said...

You can tell by the way you are that you came from a very loving family. Your brothers and sisters are lucky to have you as their example. Now that example will be for your own little boys and future children.
Life is full of challenges and for some reason God has chosen this one for you. Through our faith and prayers (there are many) you and your family will get through this trial. You were meant to find Shana and she was meant to find you. That's all there is to it. God Bless you Jake!!!