Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Life as a Stay Home Dad and Husband

Well, it's official for the next three months I am a Full time Dad, Husband and Cancer fighter. I finished the first round of Chemo and was going to return to work for two weeks, but my body wasn't going to cooperate. I was exhausted, ornery, and not much fun to be around. I wasn't even able to get up for more than ten minutes, before I had to sit down. So I decided to investigate my options a bit more and try to find a solution. I called up the HR department and asked if I qualified for Short term Disability, I did so I had the paperwork mailed out, and eventually had to have it faxed in order to speed up the process. So Shana and I sat down and revised our budget, and made a plan for our next few months that will allow us to live comfortably and frugally at the same time. Well, after a few days of exhaustion, my strength and appetite returned and now I am just about normal. (other than the fact I don't sleep a whole lot at night) But all I can say is how much of a blessing it has actually been to be at home so much, I am spending so much time with my family and never realized how much I missed out on when I was at work all day. Brayden and Daxton are so much fun to play with all day, and it's nice to be able to spend time with them. There is however one downside to staying home, and that is that I am so restless. I am used to having at least a dozen projects on my desk and to always being busy. At first the slower pace was nice, but now I am constantly restless and always have to be doing something. I am finding tedious and somewhat monotonous projects so exciting now because they keep me busy. I have probably re-organized everything in our house this week and have been deep cleaning everything. It is very refreshing and exciting to get so much done at home. I feel like I'm working for myself and not for my company right now. I have been an avid reader this whole time too. I have read Lance Armstrong's book " It's not about the bike", a truly inspirational read ( I fully recommend this to anyone), I have been an internet junkie, reading anything and everything about cancer and cancer survivorship. I have nbeen working in my cancer journal from the Lance Armstrong Foundation (a gift from Shana's mom Chris) , and I have been reading a variety of other books and magazines. I also have been trying to read my scriptures daily. ( I find that they are the best source of comfort and inspiration) So life with cancer is different, but I actually think it is a blessing because I am focused solely on what matters most, my family. They are my life not cancer!

3 comments:

Shana said...

Oh but honey, how I LOVE that you are home with us. I know that we would much rather you be working than having to go through what you are-- But I love spending the time with you and I know the kids do too. You are the best daddy and husband and I love you sooooo much!!! You are the greatest!

Audra said...

Hey! I am Audra, Shana's cousin, living in GA. She just gave me your blog address. As I read about you staying home, I had to laugh because that is exactly like Mike, my husband. He gets so restless and starts making up projects. He will reorganize and clean, just like you and I love it! And we will have to read that Lance Armstrong book. I bet it is very inspiring. He has an incredible story. Well, even though we have never met, you are so important to our family! We pray for you lots and your name is in the Atlanta temple. We pray and wish for the best. I look forward to more blogs!

Chris said...

You're an awesome husband and Dad Jake..you've taken over the roll of "daddy" better than anyone ever could have. You are a "natural" at it. The boys love you and Shana loves you. That's all that matters. This too shall pass...then on to the next phase.